Australian Online Gambling Market in 2022
Gambling is one of the favorite types of entertainment among Aussies. Due to the almost total prohibition of land-based casinos, online gambling is becoming more and more popular year by year. Many gamers from this country are interested in the legal issue of the activity. Can they legally play at online gaming venues in 2022? In our article, we will observe online gambling laws in Australia and tell you about the current situation in the industry.
Who Governs Online Casinos?
Gambling in Australia is regulated on a governmental level. What’s more, when it comes to the issue of online gambling, it’s a federal-level issue (while land-based casinos are local authorities’ responsibility). The government pays special attention to the issue. For this reason, a special commission called ACMA (which stands for Australian Communication and Media Authority) was established.
The gaming commission Australia is accountable for the following:
- Monitoring the situation with online gambling
- Implementation of any regulations concerning online gambling (either desktop or mobile).
The current laws are strict not towards gamers but towards operators. They are possibly ready to legalize such activity within the country, but they’re not reliable enough platforms that are able to meet the requirements to provide fairness and security.
In accordance with the latest additions to the Aussie laws, they allow international gambling operators to offer their services to Aussie punters. The main condition is the presence of an active operating allowance. Note that if we speak about social gaming, in other words, playing for fun, no license is required for an operator.
Legislative Basis For The Gambling Industry In Australia
In 2001, an Interactive (i.e., online) gambling act was issued. Its main aim was to prevent the promotion of gambling among Aussie players. It’s important to know that gambling as an activity is strictly prohibited within the country. Thus, the above-described act made the regulations even stricter. At the same time, it was still legal to play at online casinos, which are officially registered outside Australia.
According to the act, lotteries, lucky draws, and sports betting are still allowed. Any roulettes, pokies, craps, blackjack, poker, or any games with the game of chance features are prohibited.
In 2017, there were several amendments to the act:
|The publication of the register of certified services providers||Players got a chance to find a trustworthy operator and avoid fraud easier|
|The exclusion of a great number of gambling services from the market of Australia||The country demonstrated the reduction of unfair competition and fraud|
|New regulations concerning gambling||The control over gambling operators became easier, while the protection of population (in and outside the country) became more effective|
With time, the rules concerning online gambling were toughening. Thus, in 2018, the government decided to introduce a special framework for consumers, which was aimed at making registration easier. As it turned out, the framework was also able to interrupt any access to betting or gambling services provided online.
The situation with gambling in Australia is unlikely to become more lenient in 2022. Everything stays as it was. That’s why gambling activity and promotion of any wagering or betting are strongly forbidden by law. The only change, which gamers can hope for, might concern online poker. This game is based on players’ skills, while the fans of it are passionately looking for approval from the governmental bodies. And there are chances the game will be authorized in the future.
Speaking about the current situation, Aussie gamers can still enjoy sports betting and a few other options from licensed and regulated operators. Of course, there are certain restrictions. For example, in-play betting isn’t allowed. It means that bettors can’t stake when the match has already started.
Gambling operators have an opportunity to obtain an online gambling license in Australia from more than one territory. If a runner decides to register in Australia, it’s important to decide upon the desirable territory because each of them has its own requirements and limitations. The most widespread is the Northern Territory.
In general, obtaining an Australian license is a time-consuming process. For this reason, many operators choose an alternative way.
How to Gamble in Australia Legally?
Even with such a great number of restrictions and requirements, Aussie punters still can enjoy their favorite gamble games, including various casino games, card games, and table games. As we’ve said, the limitations are created for operators, not for players. And the freedom of people to choose the platforms to register can’t be taken away.
Thus, every smart punter understands that it’s possible to choose a gaming venue, which is registered outside Australia and welcomes Aussie players. Gamers can’t be somehow punished or fined for using such casinos. To avoid fraud and disappointment, make sure to choose reliable platforms which meet your requirements. There’re a few recommendations:
- Choose online casinos with an active operating allowance. Such certification can be obtained in one of the popular and trustworthy jurisdictions, such as Malta, Cyprus, Curacao, UKGC, Isle of Man, etc. The information about a license should be indicated on the official site of the casino and accessible to all players (even non-registered ones).
- Make certain the gaming establishment uses effective measures of protection. The application of encryption and other up-to-date measures will help keep your sensitive data and money safe and sound.
- Observe the list of options provided. Non-Australian gaming clubs can open access to a wide range of games and options – pokies, roulettes, bingo, baccarat, blackjack, poker, craps, sports betting, live dealer, and many others. Make certain a selected casino offers the type of entertainment you’re interested in.
- Check the professional support. It’s a very important issue for gamers. You can talk to the agents to assess the services. It’s better when a gaming club provides several means of contact – live chat, email, phone, etc. Besides, it’s strongly recommended that assistance should be accessible in your native language.
- Look at the interface and navigation. Of course, the interface should be available in your language. The site should be understandable for you to make the navigation easy.
- Currencies and banking tools. Almost all gambling houses support USD and EUR plus a few other optional currencies. There’re platforms which support AUD. Banking methods also matter. A player should observe them and find a suitable one for replenishments and payouts.
Gaming Clubs for Aussies
To try a reliable gaming establishment, choose one from our list:
- Casinonic casino. The platform was launched in 2019. It’s a wonderful place for Aussie gamblers, which has a Curacao certification. The casino accepts AUD and offers many comfortable banking options. There’re attractive bounties for newcomers and fair conditions provided.
- It’s one of the newest gaming platforms with a Curacao license. There’re various games (including video poker) and many convenient banking tools provided. The casino offers interesting promotions for new and existing gamers. There’re a few currencies supported, including BTC.
- Cherry Gold. The platform has operated since 2004 under the Curacao license. The presented options are diverse (including the live dealer). There’s a pleasant referral program and generous bounties.
- The casino supports AUD and quite small replenishments. The platform was established in 2019 and worked under the jurisdiction of Curacao.
- The platform welcomes Aussie gamblers. It works with a Curacao license and offers a friendly interface, interesting bounties, and an app for comfortable mobile play. The collection of games is nice. It’s represented by modern pokies from reputable providers, table, and card games.
Choose the best casino and feel free to play from Australia or any other place!